Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stupid is, is stupid goes for a ride

I got home from work and felt spent. This cold/flue is beating me down. The little buggers at school don't help things either, "Mr. Barlow, could you help me?", "Mr. Barlow, I don't know how to do this!", "Mr. Barlow, my finger is stuck in my nose!" Damn you children - can't you solve your own problems? I'm sick, leave me alone. Ahhh, if it were only that easy.

Had to convince myself to get all bundled up and go for a ride - it certainly wasn't as enticing as sitting on the couch or going to bed. But I managed to get my snotty self out the door. Got as far as Champlain Bridge and had to turn back home. The cold air only aggravated my already raw throat and I spent the return trip whooping and coughing up a lung. They (people who know what they are talking about I presume) say that you should listen to your body. Maybe there is some truth to that- today for example, should have rested and taken in fluids. Other days when my body says, "sit in front of the jumping box and eat potato chips" . . . . well . . .

The worse part about this whole thing is that I haven't been on a ride (a real decent ride) for nine days - AND, with tomorrow's crap weather coming, I won't be on a bike until Friday. After the Icebreaker on the 1st of April, I spent the four or five days recovering from hypothermia, then was tied up with family obligations on the Easter weekend, and then I get hit with this death cold. I'm starting to feel pangs of anxiety about my training - "Oh no! My first 24 hr solo race this season is less that eleven weeks away. How am I going to fit all my training in?!?! My training is falling to pieces! I'm losing fitness! AHHHH What am I going to do?!?!?!" . . . .this too will pass.

I like reading other people's blogs. What draws me back for more is good writing, interesting stuff and photos. I haven't posted a photo in a while. Any one want to see what I look like all sick and gross?
Cheers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Craig,

What brings me back to your blogg and Tanya's blogg for a daily visit is the writing. The two of you make your entries interesting. Keep it up.

Friendly internet stalker...
G.

Anonymous said...

How about a picture of a snot rag full of green gross chit? I haven't been "really" sick in a long time so I forget what it looks like... then again, NAH!

In response to your other comment, nope nothing else to do... gotta get me one of dem real jobs some day.

Matt Spak said...

Awww Craig No worries for the 24 hour. It is better to go into the event undertrained and healthy than trained and sick. Remeber what happened at last solstice last year. You still have tons of time to be ready. Ya thhose smart people that tells us to listen to our bodies are usually right.

Papa G said...

Hey Big Ring!
Your spin instructor here. You'll be fine as long as you don't do stupid things (ok,you already know that!). You have a solid fitness base. It may take you a week or two after you get well to get where you left off but you'll be good to go for Solstice

In the meantime, take lots of fluids and eat some bacon, mmmm, baaaconnnn!

Tyrone!

The Vegan Vagabond said...

Lenny, didn't you tell your boss to give you some work?

My excuse for hanging out here is that I don't have a job anymore. What else am I going to do? Plus I like reading your posts, it motivates me!

Anyway it sucks to be sick and not be able to train. I'm the worst for not slowing down when I'm sick.
Don't panic though. Like Gilles said you have a good base and there is lots of time until Solstice. You're going to be fine!!

the original big ring said...

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Hopefully this will pass soon.