Thursday, April 8, 2010

Robbed of Fortune and Fame

Chico Racing sends out a magazine style brochures every season to keep folk up-to-date on the events that they put on. Chico does an outstanding job of promoting events, creating new events and keeping up with past successful mountain biking events. If you're ever gone to one of their 24 Hr races you'd be very impressed with how well the courses are marked, how organized and thorough a job they do and how many people attend (and keep coming back year after year).

My copy showed up in my mailbox yesterday and I was perusing through it as I ate my lunch. And as I was flipping through it I came across this. And I my mind was jolted back to a bad memory and I threw up in my mouth a little.

Recognize the person on the far right? Yes. It's him.
That shoulda been me up there. That shoulda been me in the Chico magazine. I would have been famous. I coulda been someone. I've been robbed.

That guy who beat me last year at the Opus Epic 8 Hr Race at Mansfield because I was to stupid to go back out for one more lap. That guy who I failed to pay attention to. That guy who I totally would have passed on my last lap as he struggled to finish. What a way to lose a podium placing, and WHAT a podium placing to lose - one with actual people sticking around and others on it, unlike this placing from last year.

There were two valuable things came from the race: one, if you have time go back out for another lap (Dicky, in one of his half dozen race reports from his recent race, also makes reference to getting back out there for another lap), and two, it began the constant wooing and ego stroking and pleading from Peter for me to come over to the Dark Side and ride for Misfit Psycles . . . which I eventually did do for a large, undisclosed amount of money and contractual perks and health benefits.

Despite having a general loathing feeling for him, I still think Peter is the best thing that crawled out of Molly's backside.

Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for Peter, this year I will be unable to attend the Spring 8 Hr race, my first missed race there in four years.

5 comments:

PhatTires said...

Sorry for the shameless advert but you post was very à propos...I hope you don't mind. Love the blog.

I prematurely put down a deposit for the 24h of Summer Solstice and yada, yada, yada, 3 guys backed out and I've got three spots to fill before then end of April.

Looking for some riders (age 30ish) the in the Ottawa valley that would like to participate. We are registered in the 150-199 combined age class category.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
the original big ring said...

Sorry Phat, but I am working that weekend...making it the third year in a row that I won't be riding Solstice. I'll be at HAN though riding for the Misfit team.
cheers!

Matt Spak said...

Dude, Molly ate a frizbie once and shit the frizbie the next day. That was a close second.

Philly Phoodie said...

I don't know if my response ever made it back to you. I LOVE poutine. I go to Ontario every summer, and have since I was 5. I am addicted to the gravy. So good. Those rides you do up there make me green with envy. Looks like a roadie paradise. I am thinking about doing an overnighter to Kingston this summer via the Cataraqui trail.


http://www.phillyphoodie.com/2009/08/break-out-of-your-regular-poutine.html