Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Rain, 8 Hrs, Driving and Thank You

I was hoping to get out for a ride today. It's cold and rainy today - supposed to be all day and most all of the Easter Weekend. After this past weekend, I don't much feel like riding in the rain for a while. I optimistically put my trainer away for the season just before the NC trip in hopes that I'd be doing my training rides on the road - it's going to be difficult to take that beast out - a necessary evil perhaps.

Just registered for Chico's 8 Hr Spring Race at Mansfield on the May 26 weekend. Looking forward to that. Should be a good indication of how my training is coming along. The pace will be faster than what I plan on doing at the 24 hr race, but still will be a good prep.

On the way home from the race on Sunday, Rick was calculating how much traveling time that I had put in over the past two weekends just to go riding: aproximately 16 hrs each way to NC = 32 hrs; 5 to Port McNicoll + 1.5 hrs to Uxbridge + 4.5 hrs back to Ottawa = 11 hrs. So 11 hrs + 32 hrs = 43 hrs driving over two weekends just to go ride my bike . . . it was worth it!

On that note, I need to thank my wife, Christine, for putting up with me being away, the cash that I've blown supporting this addiction, and the anxiety over preparation for these two trips that I undoubtedly caused her with all my running around with my head cut-off type behavior. You're the best Chris!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get that trainer out and get those endurance ks in! Yeah it boring, but it but it makes a difference.

Forget intervals and all that crap, just endurance ks right now. The good part is you don't have to worry about recovery when doing them.

Anonymous said...

Get that trainer out! And get those endurance Ks in.

The best part of doing endurance Ks is you can do them every day. Also as little as 1hour a day will make a big difference in how you ride.

Endurance riding all winter has really bumped my speed / sustained power/endurance up.

The weather for the next two weeks isn't looking too good. Do you want to come down to Maryland with me next week for some road riding. Free place to stay!

G.

the original big ring said...

Maryland?!?! If I set so much as one foot out the door towards another road trip so soon, I'd be looking at a divorce!
Road trip to Kingdom sometime in the near'ish future - need some long days on the hill down that way.
Will stick to the trainer this week.
Yep, I have to step up my tempo rides - very important training!