Friday, September 14, 2007

Assessment, doggone it

Nope, not an ASSessment of the on-going poll, (get it? funny, huh?!) but rather:
  • assessment |əˈsesmənt| noun the evaluation or estimation of the nature, quality, or ability of someone or something
You may or may not know that I am a special education teacher. As an educator, I am either reading psycho-educational and academic tests scores or summaries OR am assessing how my kids are doing via formal testing or making anecdotal records of their performance. I was at a professional development day today (yes, we do work during these) where we were coming up with ways to set standards for assessing Section 23 (special education in Ontario) units within the province.

On my bike ride home from the inservice, it got me thinking . . . . not about my job, but about my abilities (or lack thereof) on the bike.
  • What am I doing/using to assess my own progress as a cyclist?
  • How am I or how can I track my progress?
  • Am I getting fitter and faster?
  • Have I become a better bike handler?
  • Do I need to assess myself if my only goal is fun?
I guess it's kind of normal to be asking these sorts of things with the end of the race season coming to an end. How I collect this info and what I do with it will depend upon the goals that I am going to set for myself next season. Perhaps I'm a little late on collecting data (I use to use a polar heart rate program to track all my rides, heart rates, etc.) and may need to rely on my memory, race results and how I generally feel about the season.

That kind of objective data could be construed differently one day to the next depending upon how I'm feeling about myself. I'm kind of wonky like that.

Either way, I think it's good to look at where you were and where you are now. Not just in relation to biking or interests, but as an example of inward growth as a person.

Time for my personal, daily affirmation . . . . say it along with me:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the poll... I believe I have chased that schexy ass all day before... more than once. :P Is that the new ride M?

Lenny