Thursday, June 14, 2007

PpSsssssssssssssssss . . . . .

That's the sound I heard as I was 1/4 of the way through my second lap. Thought it was the guy in front of me . . . . I hoped it was the guy in front of me. Took the risk of not carrying any tools, tube, levers or a pump - it was a short race, why bother. I got burned. You race and you learn. It's only the second time that I've DNF'd in a race.

Arrived at Fortune to register. I thought most all of the guys in my ability level were riding in "Expert", so that's what I registered to race in. Turns out most were racing in "Sport". Kind of funny, I actually laughed. It worked out better, "sport" were only doing two laps, "experts" were racing three. Fast, fast group of guys. The experts and elites started together. Rounded the bend on the first climb and most of the field was gone! Poof! Fast!

The whole first lap I was sucking wind just trying to keep up. As I started my second, passing through the start/finish gates, I started to recover and get into a groove. Got up the climb, bombed through some double track, down the hill, across the bridge and pipe - caught a heap of air, started the long gradual climb up the road and . . . . . .Pssssssssssssss . . . . flat.

Lots of friendly faces out there last night - a real good turn out and atmosphere. Met some new friends. Met Steve (or Stephen? sorry if I got it mixed up!) last night in the parking lot before the race. Got to talking and turns out it was his first race ever! Way to go Steve! Hope you're hooked.
Way to go Steve!
Marc
Thom
Rick
Peter
Me
Mark
Kari
Hannah
ChristianWill
Anthony (947)


Joe & Mike @ zoomphoto.ca were at the hill taking photos. Good job guys. I hope you don't mind me poaching these to share. You can see more at their website and over on mtbkanata.com.
** edit: my apologies to anyone who's picture that I did not get up and posted. So many faces to remember from the race. Let me know if I missed you and I can post it up. Cheers!

4 comments:

Matt Spak said...

awww so you got your excuses covered. Remember that pancake batter comment!!! Better than that pssst sound. Nice wheels, a little bling bling for the bike.

the original big ring said...

Pancake batter comment?? Huh?

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the cheer as I very slowly pedaled by. I took an endo on the descent and f*#ked up my knee. Managed to finish my first lap, but had to DNF. Disappointing for my first race. I learned that it's a little tougher negotiating the technical sections when you're sucking wind. :) Anyway, I'll be back.

the original big ring said...

Ahhh, yes . . . . pancake batter - tubeless. No thanks.