Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mr Sociable

90 % of the time I ride alone. I guess there are a number of reasons for this:
  • I have a variable schedule and it's difficult to find folks to ride when I have time,
  • people generally don't like me,
  • riders don't like my slow pace and inability to keep up on the hills,
  • my riding shorts have holes in the rear, which isn't a terribly pleasing sight to look at when riding behind me,
  • body odour,
  • personal hygiene issues,
  • awkward to have conversations with me,
  • I don't like people,
  • I accept myself and and am happy enough to ride alone, cause gosh darn it . . .  I am good enough, smart enough and people like me (exception to point #2 above)
However, there are times when the stars and moons align and I am feeling a bit social.  Last week was one of those times with not one social ride, but two. 

First ride was the weekly OMBA ride.  I rode in Group B - which was rather large, but still fun to ride with folks for a change, see some old faces and meet some new.  On our return loop I ran into my good friend Fritz and his boy Riley.  I opted to stop and chat and finish the ride with these two.  In the end it turned out to be a faster ride than the B group.  Riley, just 11 years old is a freak'n ripper.  I'd bet that 90% of the folks who ride SMH couldn't keep up to his pace.  He's podium'ed twice now at the Ontario Cup races, winning his first. 
Social ride number two: hooked up with some of the old gang and some new folks to do a ride at Camp Fortune.  Flats, fats and losing each other made for a slow, stop and start ride, but it was still a fun ride.

No comments: