Sunday, April 22, 2007

96.2km

Didn't get 100km in today, but almost - 96.2 km. Two day total = 202 km. I'm happy with that - plan was to start taxing the body to handle greater loads of work; getting ready for Solstice.

Another gorgeous day here in Ottawa - sunny and high of 23 degrees. Wind picked up later in the afternoon, which was surprising to me because it never seems windy to me in the park.

Mark met up with me at Gameline around 1pm, riding his 35lb commuter. The guy knows how to suffer . . . . it's been a month off the bike, set back by a wicked flue/cold, and rides that beast in the park. He did real well completing the loop.
Here he is climbing Pink And climbing Blacks
BlacksThe view from Champlain Look-off

On the way down Champlain we ran into Scott, Pascal, Brian and his wife (sorry Brian, I forgot her name!) who were out for a ride - prep'ing themselves for all their crazy adventure races. Nice seeing you guys!

Rode the loop and back to Gameline with Mark, then he had to jet home to wife and boy. Ended up riding the first 50km with him today - nice to catch up, haven't seen him since NC.

Left Gameline and headed back into the park for another loop.

Was running low on fluids, so I biked into Chelsea to fill up and grab a bite - that road is in terrible shape - like cobble stone in sections. Speaking of cobble stone and bad roads, the Paris-Roubaix race went on today out in Almonte - here's the link.

With fluids and some food in my belly finished up by doing the north loop then turned around and headed for home.
Numbers:
Total Ride Time: 4 hr 6 min
Average Speed: 23.2 km/hr
Distance: 96 km
Average Heart Rate: 139 bpm
- messed up after leaving Mark and forgot to start my heart rate monitor back up and didn't get total times in my zones. Average HR is much lower, going slower today. Average speed is also lower, hills.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

200km over two days (back to back, right?) . . . not bad at all!
From those numbers on your first day, you were flying!

Papa G said...

Hey Big Ring! I just missed you and Test-ticle boy yesterday. I was out in the Gats around noon, doing some resistance work, i.e., towing Amélie in the Chariot. Good workout, I tell ya. It was a gorgeous day to be out.
Ty

Anonymous said...

Craig, yer camera might be broken cause it's making my bum look fat. ..i mean black is supposed to be 'slimming' so someone as svelte (and dashing) as myself should practically disappear!!

Great first loop of the park!
70km felt like 100 though. Damn cold..
Good thing its all downhill for me from the park home.

BTW, Sio was asking after you and Chris.

M

the original big ring said...

Tyrone,
soon Mark will be joining you in the "resistence club" pulling Declan along up those climbs.

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig,

Thanks for the samples of whey! I'm going to give them a try this week!

Cheers,
Mike Mac