Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wax on, Wax off

Grasshopper, learn the clean bike way.


I got a phone call the other day from a buddy who asked me what I was doing. I replied waxing my bike. He laughed. I don't think he believed me. But, it's true. I wax my bikes on a regular basis. I'm of the mind, "A clean bike is a happy bike." Am I obsessive compulsive and anal retentive? Yes.


I hardly ever, ever use a hose to blast off the dirt from my bike. I don't like the thought of water being forced into all the little nooks and cranny of the bike. So, I let the dirt dry and then bush it off. Once it's off, I use a damp cloth to wipe it down. Usually a rag with some bio clean.

I know alot of people who say that the biodegradable cleaners don't work very well. I think that's a lot of phoooey. If you're the type that only cleans your bike once it's not working properly or forget what colour it is, then not many cleaners are going to work for you. I never have a problem cleaning anything with some bio cleaner. The idea is to clean regularly and you won't need a strong cleaner. Bio clean is also safer and more eco-friendly.

Wax on

Wax off
oooooooooo, so shiny!
*Misty, note the lack of head badge. What ever shall I do?!?

Chain goes into an old peanut butter container with some bio clean to soak after a little shaking. I use SRAM chains with quick links on all my bikes, so they're easy to put on and take off. I actually run two chains on all my bikes - while one soaks in the cleaner, the other one is on the bike. Keeps the wear and tear down on the drive train too.
Once clean, a wash it off in the old sink and pull through an old rag a half dozen times or so, then let air dry a little while.

Old tooth brushes, Progold Chain Lube and Progold EPX Cycle Grease help keep things clean and running smoothly.

So kids, say after me, "A clean bike is a happy bike."
Next week I'll show you short cuts to waxing your spokes.
A waxed spoke makes a 2% faster wheel.

6 comments:

MCF said...

That sure is a purdy bike ya got there.........



*cough* *cough* --- let's talk head badge!

Rob Young said...

Hey Craig,

Do you wash off the residual bio clean before waxing the bike?

the original big ring said...

Misty - might have an answer to my headbadge issue tonight.

Rob - once I wipe it down with the bio clean, I let it dry (I don't use so much to soak the bike) and then wipe clean any dirty spots still on the bike. Make sure you let the wax set, then buff off with a clean soft rag.

IMPORTANT: watch those brakes! You don't want that stuff near your brakes and especially so if you're running rim brakes. Cheers!

LennyG said...

MY SPOKES TOO!?! No wonder I am always getting dropped...

Richard said...

Excellent use of the peanut butter tub. I'm going to use the same on my next clean! Is that your Bernese mtn dog? My favorite dog! Enjoying the blog!

the original big ring said...

Yes Richard, that's Jacks. He's 7 and a half years old and acts like a pup. He is beloved and spoiled rotten by my wife and I.

Cheers!