Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm on crack

The conclusion of last weeks blog post of my cracked frame . . . . it's still cracked.

For about a half an hour I contemplated contacting the bike company about possibly getting a warranty replacement. I bought this bike in 2002 and have ridden the hell out of it. I've logged on average 3500kms per season on it (which by roadie standards isn't that much - but considering I wasn't riding seriously back then, it's enough), it's been my late winter/early spring training ride, and has sat on my trainer for the past five winters. It doesn't owe me anything. I'm also pretty certain that there was only a five year warranty on it anyway. The idea of taking it back to the manufacturer and expecting a replacement doesn't sit well with me.

You can see the crack right through the inside of the seat tube.

A little J.B. Weld worked into the crack and let cure seems to have fixed it. Maybe only a temporary fix, but it will do. I'm hoping that this will show up soon and become my new spring ride - along with cx racing, long gravel rides, commute, and touring rig.

No comments: