Thursday, March 25, 2010

Lumberjack 100


Just yesterday I had an amazing opportunity presented to me, to take over someone's spot at the Lumberjack 100. This race sold out in 12 hrs and 16 minutes this year. I had planned on signing up for it, but had no idea that it was so popular. But how could you not expect it to be popular . . .
Michigan's only 100-mile mountain bike race! The Lumberjack 100 will once again utilize Michigan's beautiful Manistee National Forest, but with a new 33-mile loop snaking through the Big-M Ski Area for 2010. The Michigan style single track; composed mostly of hard pack trail, occasional sandy sections, and fast rolling terrain offers twists and turns that demand constant power, and total concentration as the trails quickly turn to nothing more than green blurs of forest. (If you're expecting easy, fire-road coasting, look elsewhere!) Ninety percent of the 33-mile, 3-lap race is comprised of this single track that will eventually push racers over 9,000 feet of total elevation gain.
The Wilderness 101 last year was my first hundred mile race, and a big test, a big ride and a big day on the bike. I'm heading back to it again this year and it looks like I'll have some company.

I'm giving myself until the end of the week to work out the logistics and come to a decision whether I'll be going or not. Motivation is certainly not lacking. Do I follow the race rule of not traveling for more hours than the amount of racing that I'll be doing, i.e. it's an approx. 12 hour lonesome drive to Michigan from Ottawa, sleep for six hours, race for 9-10 hours, sleep for 6 hours, then drive 12 hours home and work the next day.

BUY MY STUFF!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

do the M100...
Its supurb to them all...
Best ones are the:
S100
M100
W101

Lots of the best riders in the US go to the above three.

Then, go do La Ruta...
Gotta do this race at least once in your life.