Monday, September 26, 2011


Weird, John Denver sings about leaving on a jet plane AND tomorrow I am leaving on a jet plane and going to Denver.  What are the chances?!?!?

Gone for a weeks worth of riding in Colorado and Utah.  Dicky has gone and broke my secret that I won't be taking the diSSent down south to ride.  What will I be on?
Taa daa........ a Niner Jet 9.   4" in the front and 3" in the rear should feel like a couch compared to what I've been riding.
After almost five years away from full suspension, four on single speed, and the past three fully rigid, it feels a little strange to be going back to full suspension.  And I have yet to even ride the Jet 9 (or any full suspension bike, for that matter, in five years).  It's waiting for me at Golden Bike Shop in Golden, CO.  Mike and Adam at Golden set me up with a wicked ride.  Cheers fellas!

Part of the reason for the Niner is last year I suffered miserably with all the climbing in CO.  I was a tad overweight (funny how I still am) and maybe not in the best shape of the season, but it was the single speeding up the numerous climbs that torched me.  I didn't want to go back this year and suffer like I did last.  By the fourth and fifth day riding last year my legs did come around, but by that point the damage was done.  Being pooped while climbing is one thing, but being too tired to control the bike on the descents is another.  Last year I bit it big time and dislocated my sternum on the first day. 

From what the Goat has told us, most of the riding we'll be doing is in Utah and around Moab.  Maybe I should be taking the SS - there's not that much climbing in Utah, is there?!?  To be honest, I feel like a bit of a sell out not taking the single speed.  What's going to make me special and stand out from the rest?  I guess I'll have to cover up the tattoos and keep the surly attitude in check.  I've already shaved off my soul patch too.  Is this the end of single speeding?

No.  No it isn't.  I will continue to single speed and do so fully rigid - I very much love it.  More on that when I return.

So . . . I'll be gone for a week and I doubt that there will be any blog-o updates unless Dicky or the Goat take along their laptops that I can use, and even then I doubt that I will have the motivation or the energy to post anything.  So until then, as always, David Hasselholf dollies for everyone (you can print these out at home, colour them and act out your favourite Night Rider scenes).


2 comments:

Unknown said...

No, no climbing in Utah. Its all flat.

Disco Stu said...

Have fun ya lucky bastard