Monday, February 26, 2007

The OmegaWhey

I'm uber-happy to have OmegaWhey supporting me with my nutritional needs this race season.
OmegaWhey is made by Nutrablend Foods, a division of the Grober Group of companies. Grober is a company that for years has specialized in dairy proteins.


So back in October I met with Beth Mansfield of Peak Performance to have an individual nutritional counseling session and body composition assessment. I had also attended one of Beth's Power-fuel Sport Nutrition Workshops. During one of our meetings she gave me a few samples of Omega Whey shakes to try. At the time I had a broken arm (cycling accident) and hadn't had the need to sample one, as my training had ceased. I tucked them away with my other nutritional supplements and kind of forgot about them.

It wasn't until this past week when I was going through my nutrition supplements when I came across them again - my training has picked up the past couple of weeks and I need to fuel my body to get through my workouts and recover to do it all again. So, this past week I started using the sample shakes that Beth gave to me.

I was completely surprised with the the results that I had noticed over the course of five training days. Three days were a tough, 2 hour plus skate ski and two were 1.5 hour spinning workouts. I had one day of recovery (3 on and 1 off) to split the five days. In the past I had been using a maltodextrin/protein (3:1) shake for recovery. I've always found these tough to stomach as the sugary powder upset my stomach and gave me gas for days. Maltodextrin is also very high in calories - so I've always found it hard to trim down to my racing weight while taking it. You also have to drink close to a litre of water with the mix (I've found it doesn't mix well with smaller amounts of water).

However, with the Omega Whey shakes I was able to mix it easily in a water bottle and drink it down. I actually looked forward to drinking it at the end of a workout. And, no upset stomach or gas. Love all those flavors too, especially Banana Berry - yum! I noticed, especially so on my fourth and fifth training days (when I am normally starting to feel fatigued) that my muscles weren't sore or tired and I had more energy than normal. If a nutritional supplement does that for me, I'm going to use it!


And tonight I did just that. Robbie O. put us through a killer "Base" (yeah right!) workout. I don't think my heart rate came below 80% of max. And you know kids, when you're training your base you should be between 75-80%. I don't think that 11 minute standing climbs constitute a "base" workout! The legs felt cooked on the way home, but I got my OmegaWhey protein drink into me right away, with a little carbohydrate to help it absorb. Got to get that good stuff into you within 15 minutes after stopping exercise so to reap the full benefits of the nutrition. Should be fine to ski tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

11 minute standing climbs?? Shoot me now!

I'd love to try some of those shakes you wrote about, where are they sold in Ottawa?

Also, there was some great entertainment on TSN last night, did you catch any of that? ;)

I am enjoying reading your blog on a regular basis... thanks Craig!

Lenny

Anonymous said...

Hey Lenny,
glad you're enjoying my blog experience and thanks for tunning in!
Click on the OmegaWhey link and it'll tell you where you can find it here in Ottawa. You know I'll take care of you ;)
Nope, missed TSN last night - haven't had much time for TV. What did I miss?
C.

Anonymous said...

I have had some of the same effects with the Malto/Protein mixture. I'll see what I can find on their site. If you have some "extra" samples I'd gladly take them off your hands but I'll definitely support them if they make a good product. I usually feel bloated after the other mixture.

I'm not training that hard that I need them right now but I have tired legs quite often through the summer. I never found much of a difference when using the homemade concauction so maybe this stuff will be different... or maybe I'm just a tired old man!

Habs 5, Leafs 4... WooHoo!! :)

Anonymous said...

Boooooooo!