Friday, May 22, 2009

8 Hr Preview

I think that I was alone in the house about an hour with the hazelnut spread and chunky peanut butter before I got into it.

The head of the empire has burst my bubble this week at any hopes of doing well at the Opus Epic Spring 8 Hr this weekend. He's filled my head, and comment boxes, with messages that the single speed category is filled with faster, skinnier riders. He said nothing about better looking, so I am going to assume that I'll take first place for most handsome'st.

Note to self: buy yummy bread spreads the day of race.

My goal this year was to better my overall placing and number of laps. Last year I came in 8th/54 riders (there was no single speed solo category last year) with 13 laps. This year Chico's got a single speed category that sounds like it's going to be pretty competitive.

I'll go out, ride, have fun, talk to some friends on course, meet some new ones, and get through the day. Hydrating (one bottle a lap) and keeping the nutrition coming (peanut butter and chocolate hazlenut sandwiches will do nicely . . . . if I have enough left) will be key to keep'in the legs moving.

The eight hour race is short enough that you can't really let up on the gas, but long enough that you've got to pace yourself so that you don't flame out in a discombobulated mass of twitching muscle fibre.

Wish me luck - hugs and kisses.

6 comments:

The Vegan Vagabond said...

Those are scary pictures. They remind me of a creepy clown. mmmmm...pb & nutella (not vegan, wish it was)...mmmmm.

Sounds like a good race strategy.

Peter Keiller said...

"eight hour race is short enough that you can't really let up on the gas"You Have To Show Them That You're Really Not Scared
You're Playin' With Your Life, This Ain't No Truth Or Dare
They'll Kick You, Then They Beat You,
Then They'll Tell You It's Fair
So Beat It, But You Wanna Be Bad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E-Y-d58HIU

Anonymous said...

get naked with pb. I do.
Love standing nude in front my honey just covered in pb.
I'm a real turn on.
beast like.

Anonymous said...

We leave you alone for a week and look what happens . . .

Rob Young said...

If that was me eating PB, I wouldn't be able to let up on the gas either. Maybe not the kind of gas you mean though. Or maybe it is! Gross, I feel sorry for whoever is behind you! :P

Good luck!

Travels with my Mule said...

very amusing blog, I laughed so much. Probably out of guilt for blaming my disapearing ice cream on my kids.