Thursday, April 19, 2007

Zeal Dealies

Had my first road ride yesterday with the new goggles. The weather turned really nice yesterday with a few clouds in the sky so I was going to need a pair of sunnies. Gave the new Zeals a go.

I really like these glasses!

Here's the pros:
  • light weight
  • good coverage from wind - no wind in the eyes, even on decents
  • visibility - rim was not in my periphery or blocked my side view
  • the polarization was stellar!
  • didn't fall down my nose, even when they got sweaty
  • the arms bend out from your head (kind of curve around); fit nicely with your helmet on
  • the polarization changed as lighting changed

And the cons:

  • there is a rim on the bottom of the frame that could possibly keep sweat from rolling off- it didn't happen yesterday, maybe it won't
  • ummmm . . . . . ?

I loved how the polarization adapted to different lighting. It clouded over a couple of times while riding, but my view through the lens did not darken - stayed constant and clear. With the water on the road, from melting snow, there was a glare with the sun shining that would make it difficult to see. No problem for the Maestro - could see everything; didn't have to squint to see once. There were a few patches of snow on the road as I bombed down Blacks Mtn - would have been difficult to pick up the line through the snow and wet road without the glasses on.

These glasses have interchangeable lenses, but mine did not come with any. They are available, but the rep felt that the polarization on these glasses were so good and they adapted to various lighting that there was a large need to have them. Will post some reviews under cloudy conditions after wearing them in, when normally I'd wear a pair of yellow or red tint glasses. Cheers.

3 comments:

Matt Spak said...

sounds like some nice glasses. What lens are avilable? GLad your finally feeling better and training again.

The Vegan Vagabond said...

holy crap, I just checked your weather. You have some nice weather happening right now! I guess Ottawa went from winter right to summer, skipped right over spring.

Enjoy your weekend of riding.

the original big ring said...

Matt, check their web site - standard lenses: yellow, clear, red, rose, etc. I've only been using the ones that came with them and so far am really happy with them.